Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Happy at Home

We are very grateful to STILL be at home! Caroline has been doing very well at home with the oxygen support while eating and sleeping and has not had any new or worsening symptoms.  She had her four month well check yesterday with her primary pediatrician and despite everything going on, Caroline is growing and developing perfectly.  She is in the 50th percentile for her weight (where she's been since she was born) and the 70th percentile for her height.  She has not missed any major milestones even though developmental delays would be considered normal for her.  We are very grateful and continue to pray for her absolute healing.

On Monday morning Jett said, "Mommy I'm happy."  I said, "great! Why?"  He replied, "because we are all home together now." That pretty much says it all for us.

We are still waiting to get an appointment with our pulmonologist to develop a diagnostic and treatment plan from here. Although we are anxious to get answers, we are cherishing every day here at home knowing we could be back in for procedures at any moment. Thank you for continuing to pray for us!

A couple of weeks ago Jett said he wanted to talk about Caroline. We talked about how God made our bodies and how we breathe automatically without even thinking about it.  I told him that Caroline's lungs are hurt and she has to work harder than us to breathe.  I told him the doctors are so nice and are working very hard to help Caroline.  Then I said, "but you know who is even smarter than the doctors?" And Jett replied, "Jesus!"  I said, "that's right! That's because..." Well, I was going to say, "because Jesus was there when Caroline was made...;" however, Jett interrupted and said, "because Jesus is alive!"

As I walked down the stairs thinking about our conversation, I began thinking about the fact that Jesus is Alive and that fact being the center of our hope.  The words to the old hymn, "Because He lives" came to my mind. I couldn't remember the lyrics to the full song, so I looked them up. See the lyrics below (especially verse 2).

God sent His son, they called Him Jesus
He came to love, heal, and forgive.
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives.
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.


Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

And then one day I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain.
And then as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives.

When I read the lyrics, I began to cry with joy at God's great provision for me.  We don't sing this song at church and I really didn't grow up singing it either, but God brought it to my mind, directed me to look up the lyrics, and spoke to me so pointedly.  God is so good.

Jesus, thank you for the sweetness there is in holding our newborn baby.  Thank you for the calm assurance we can have that all of us, including Caroline, can face uncertain days because You live.  Because YOU live, we can face tomorrow.  Because YOU live, all our fear is gone.  Because we know YOU hold our future, this life is worth the living, all because YOU live.


No comments:

Post a Comment